A WORD FROM THE WMU OF TEXAS PRESIDENT
I remember playing basketball in high school. Occasionally, someone would hog the ball. The coach would call a halt to the practice and remind us that we were a team that should all work together. He would tell us that basketball is a team sport and that working together we win the game.
Missions is also a team experience. That’s why WMU of Texas has the goal to support missions opportunities through the Baptist General Convention of Texas. When we as Texas Baptists join together, we have so many more opportunities to share Christ within our state. As basketball players, we were intent on that one purpose of winning a game. As Texas Baptists, we are intent on the one goal of making Christ known to all peoples in Texas.
Teresa Harmening wrote a song for our Mary Hill Davis Offering theme called, “Together.” It encapsulates the theme, TOGETHER . . . INTENT ON 1 PURPOSE.
The same mind, the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose. As we go, we will serve; as we serve, we will give, fulfilling the Great Commission. As we give, we will pray, as we pray, we will say that together we will touch the world.
It is my prayer that we will touch Texas TOGETHER . . . INTENT ON 1 PURPOSE.
In Christ's Love,
START PLANNING TODAY!
This year’s Mary Hill Davis Offering® planning is simple. Begin by gathering your missions team and a calendar. Then schedule a season long, whole-church mission experience. Follow these steps below. Don't forget to download the Churchwide Plans to help you promote the offering.
WATCH THE FEATURED VIDEOS
Catch the vision for your church’s role in Texas missions. You’ll hear from ministry coordinators, missionaries and Christfollowers speaking to the part we all have in helping to further the gospel in Texas. Share these videos with your congregation.
PLAN FOR THE WEEK OF PRAYER FOR TEXAS MISSIONS
Mark your church calendar for Sept. 10-17 to pray for Texas Baptist missionaries and ministry efforts during the 2017 Week of Prayer. Beginning July 1 you can order your materials to help plan and promote this critical week. You can order online or by phone at 214.828.5150.
SET YOUR CHURCH GOAL
Join with your staff and leaders to pray about the amount your church can give to empower missionaries to do God’s work around the world. Be guided by real dollar examples of your giving in the Because you Give Flyer or consider an amount based on the average cost of supporting a ministry partner:
- $171.00 can support Serve Ministries
- $180.00 can support Advance Missions Equipping
- $560.00 can support Love the Least of These
- $60.00 can support Tell Ministries
Every person in your church has a part to play and together, intent on one purpose we can make Him known.
PLAN A MISSIONARY VISIT
Help church members understand the impact of their praying and giving by hearing directly from a missionary or ministry coordinator. Plan for an in-person visit or video message.
SHARE FROM THE PULPIT
Ignite your church members’ excitement about this year’s giving season and encourage them to pray about how they can join the work. Introduce the offering to your church by showing the videos, announcing the goal, distributing the Because you Give Flyer.
USE THESE HELPFUL RESOURCES
- Use the Bible Study lesson created for this year’s Mary Hill Davis Offering season.
- Decide what products you will need and order them from WMU of Texas. Use the Age-Level Mission Studies with churchwide resources. Additional resources found on the resources page. To order promotional materials like the poster, prayer guides and envelopes, please order online or call WMU of Texas at 214.808.5150.
- Lead others in your church toward resources designed for them.
- Student leader – Challenge your students to reach out to the least of least through Texas Missions.
- Children’s leader – Prepare your children for the Mary Hill Davis offering season.
- Preschool leader - Set the foundation for preschoolers to understand their role in spreading the gospel in Texas.
- Share Because You Give fast facts and inspiring messages from the pulpit, during special events, in your church newsletter and bulletin, on Facebook or your website.
- Display visual images that bring Texas missions to your members. Use these graphics in bulletins, emails or social media.
- Distribute Week of Prayer prayer guides to those who will commit to daily prayer. Place your Mary Hill Davis posters in high-traffic areas and place your offering envelopes in the pew racks.
This is where it all comes together.
Together, intent on 1 purpose....we can win Texas for Christ.
Therefore if there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and compassion, make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose. Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others....Philippians 2:1-4 (NASB)
PRAY DURING THE WEEK OF PRAYER FOR TEXAS MISSIONS
There is great power in prayer. Using the prayer guide in your Week of Prayer materials, each member of your church can pray for specific missionaries and ministries sharing the gospel in our state and beyond.
GIVE TO THE MARY HILL DAVIS OFFERING
Together, intent on one purpose WMU of Texas and Texas Baptists are able to send your missionaries and provide opportunities for people to hear the gospel and find hope in Christ. The Mary Hill Davis Offering is a vital part of this work–100% of the money collected goes to sending missionaries and sustaining ministry efforts.